Sunday, November 1, 2009

La Vida de la clinica......


As most of you know, I am here in Indy with a latino health clinic. A great place which provides spanish-speaking health services over a cinco-state area. However, Saturday we saw over 50 patients within the first four hours and only one patient admitted to exercising at least once a week! I often wonder if the rest of these patients exercised at least once a week if they would still be visiting the clinic??? Although I would choose Western Medicine practice over Eastern any day--there's still something to be said about Eastern medicine and pro-active healthcare as opposed to just "fixing the condition." One day I will find a way to make it easy for everyone to "prevent the condition." (in a perfect world and I'm off my soap box now.....)

NYC was great! The Myklusch's are still one of the Top Ten World's Most Beautiful Families. I also ate my weight in gourmet goodness and give high recommendations to Balthazar, Cafe Bossa and The Shake Shack (best burger of all time--thanks again Mr. Myklusch!). They are all in the lower east side of Manhattan, which is where I will hopefully one day have a cute little part-time dojo.

Thanks to my hosts, I do have the double secret recipe for the Shake Shack Burger. I will not post it on here but if you want it, I will be happy to send it your direction.

INDY FARMERS MARKET: For those of you in Indy looking for some great local goods, there is a new Farmers Market Downtown. Can I please recommend the Vermont Bars from the pastry lady to the right of the entrance. Joder!!!
http://indywinterfarmersmarket.org

Anyway, The other night I made Baked Falafel and I wanted to share this healthy yet flavorful recipe with y'all!

1 16 oz. can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans.
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped (or if you like parsley, go for 5!)
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon paprika
1.5 teaspoons cumin
Smidge of crushed red pepper or my personal fave, Sriracha Hot Sauce!
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon Tahini (sesame paste)
2 tablespoons wheat flour
Salt
Pepper
Heat Oven at 375, spray down baking sheet.
Mash chickpeas, spices, tahini, and juice in medium bowl. Mash it real good! Stir in onions/garlic/parsley. Stir in flour
Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball (no Bangkok jokes please!). Slightly flatten. Put on tray, bake 12 minutes and serv'em up on a pita with lettuce, tomato, tahini and tzatziki sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment