Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Cold Weather Stiffness

I don't know about y'all but after spending 10 years of having 10-month summers, this chilly southern Indiana weather has my joints aching as if I were about 20 years older than I really am.
I know I'm not the only one out there with stiff joints (as I do have several lovely "seasoned" readers). Therefore, I have been doing some research on foods which might help out during these stiff/cold winter months and wouldn't you know it--Omega 3's take the cake! While high saturated fat foods (mostly meats and butters) increase joint inflammation, Polyunsaturated omega-3s actually work to decrease inflammation by suppressing the production of cytokines and enzymes that erode cartilage.
Here is a list of some the better Omega-3 source foods on which to concentrate this holiday season:

Walnuts
Seaweed (seaweed salad!)
Ground Flaxseed
Soybeans (Kroger now makes microwavable edamame snack-packs)
Salmon (preferably wild and not farm-raised)
Omega-3 Fortified Eggs
Herring
Sardines/Anchioves
Oysters
Rainbow Trout

Also, Ginger, Cinnamon & Tumeric are great anti-inflammatory spices (Hello Curry and Moroccan delights!!)

And Antioxidants such as:
Vitamin C (especially for the smokers!!)
Selenium (Brazil Nuts);
Vitamin-A in Beta-Carotene form (pumpkin, kale, butternut squash, sweet potatoes)
Anthocyanidins (Blueberries, Blackberries, black currants, cherries, red grapes)
Vitamin D

Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. If only one could find seaweed growing naturally in southern Indiana.

    ReplyDelete