Monday, November 26, 2012

Baby Sea Turtle Guacamole


No hay palabras para descubrir el amor que tengo para Mexico. There are no words to describe the love I have for Mexico. Put me in the Yucatan or in the Oaxacan center, I love this country from the bottom of my heart. Every time I return, it’s like seeing an old friend from college…….. always a great time and looking forward to the next opportunity to “hang out.”

This particular trip has been most interesting since take off. For the first time in my life, while in flight, I saw a shooting star. Unfortunately my wish did not come true: 1) The pilot was not hot. 2) He did not ask me if I wanted to fly the plane then head to Madrid for the weekend………. and so we move forward.

The second thing that has occurred on this trip, which boggled my mind, is one of the most surreal occurrences I have ever experienced. My first night here, I decided to take one of my typical late night strolls along the beach (I realize this is not the epitome of safety but my middle name IS Yoshimi). There I was, walking the beach, with absolutely no one anywhere nearby. I saw a little black squiggly thing in the sand, and then another little black squiggly thing next to it, and then I looked up and saw about 50 or 60 little black squiggly things coming towards me! Is this?……….no way!......Baby Sea Turtles heading to sea! I tried to find anyone around me to share in this ultimate joyful Mother Nature bliss, but it was late at night and in a deserted part of the beach. Therefore, I just sat down in the sand, with all the baby turtles, crawling over my toes. Although I am sure I disrupted some sort of Darwinian evolution vibe, I made sure each and every one of these little dudes made it to sea. As a non-religious person, this was probably one of the most religious-esque experiences I have ever had. How on earth could I have been more “in the right place at the right time” ??? No hay palabras.

Anyway, I’m staying in a beach dojo, outside of the small town of Tulum, Mexico (about 2 hours south of Cancun). This is where I come to revive my “inner hippie.” It’s where young backpackers from all over the globe come to stay and old backpackers come to die.

The dojo where I am staying is called “Om Tulum,” and it’s definitely not meant for luxury beach travel. No television, no hot water, and only several hours of electricity each day. Local vibe only. However, there is always a fully stocked bar and very resourceful staff to help accommodate any other needs one might desire to have the perfect “yoga/meditation hippie chick beach vaycay.” Every morning, I step outside my room and make a bee-line straight into the ocean……that’s all I need. (that, and vodka)

As well, throughout this entire trip, I have literally eaten my weight in Ceviche and Guacamole. Since I cannot per-fect a ceviche recipe to share, I thought I might hand over my double-secret guacamole recipe. It is full of antioxidants, vitamin C, potassium, lycopene, and fiber ……..plus, it tastes so good when it hits the lips!

TJ’s Guac
2 avocados, smash’em up (save one of the seeds)
Juice of 1 lime
½ yellow Spanish onion, finely diced (NOT a first date dish)
1 clove garlic smashed (see onion comment)
1 small tomato, diced
½ handful cilantro, finely chopped
1 Jalapeno, finely diced
Salt to taste
A few shakes Tabasco or hot sauce of your choice

Smash avocados with a fork, add juice, add the few shakes of hot sauce, smash some more, stir in onion, garlic, tomato, cilantro, and jalapeno. Add the salt to your liking and store in the refrigerator with the avocado seed in the guacamole. This keeps it fresher and from browning. True story! You’ll be balls deep in guacamole goodness!


1 comment:

  1. More recipes! This guac, the Thai noodles, and the avocado & mango salsa all rock! Here is a good healthy dip that's easy to make: half an avocado, a (generous) spoonful of nonfat plain Greek yogurt, and a spoonful of hot sauce. You can add incrementally for larger amounts. Yay for Tricia!

    ReplyDelete