Monday, January 17, 2011

Lovin' on Lilly's

Since my arrival in Louisville, “Lilly’s Bistro” in the Highlands, (www.lillyslapeche.com) has been on my to-do list. However, I have been skeptical because the menu looks so fabulous, I assumed it would be one of those places full of pretentious foodies and a wait staff which is continuously trying to “one-up” you on your knowledge of food or wine. Let’s just say, I was proven wrong—very wrong.

This place is an absolute MUST. R & I decided to walk in the 20 degree weather because it was less than a mile from the house and upon our arrival to Lilly’s, you would have thought we were old besties with the entire staff.

First and foremost, they have an amazing selection of Bourbons, including A.H. Hirsch Reserve (R’s fave). In addition, I always know it’s going to be a good restaurant when they have more than one Spanish wine on the list AND they also have Cava by the glass. Their wine menu was very old-world-friendly and as much as I wanted some red, my first patient was at 6:45 a.m. the next morning, so we decided to keep it safe and settle with a crispy White Bordeaux.

We purposely sat at the bar, due to someone being a giant (he always prefers to sit at the bar), where our enthusiastic bartender proudly (not pretentiously) relayed how much he loves the food and that the Chef could most likely make dirt into a gourmet meal. Lilly’s, unlike most places, admirably uses a majority of local ingredients. Almost every item on the menu comes from a local farm or at least from a local wooded area.

We started with the Chicken Liver Pâté, garnished with apples, pistachios, Dijon and cornichons. Since I like to think I am a pâté connoisseur (thanks to the love my parents instilled upon me for organ meats) I can easily say Lilly’s was silky and savory. I often think most restaurant pâté is too sweet or has an overly-gamey finish—Lilly’s had no trace of either. C’est Parfait!

We then tried my new-found favorite treat, Rabbit Croquettes = Two tiny bites of heaven. If you order them, get two servings, I promise you won’t be sorry. The rabbit was shredded and perfectly textured yet slightly spicy and came with a Bourbon sauce in which I was dipping everything, to the point I just started eating it with a spoon----All class from this end.

For dinner we took in the massive Bone-in Pork Chop wrapped in Pork Belly. Dear Lord was this thing tasty! To “try” and balance things out, we also ordered the local farmer vegetable plate which included spinach, parsnip, mushroom and butternut squash crepes. It was absolutely divine. However, we must have looked like jackals between me eating the Bourbon sauce with a spoon and R actually picking up the pork chop bone to get every last vittle on it.

Although there were plenty of temptations for dessert, including the Apple Tartin and the Artisan Cheese Plate, R kindly rolled me home because I was so full, I felt like a Manatee. After a very cold walk back to the house, we opted for a my ghetto-version of rice krispie treats, which was a bowl of rice krispies and coconut marshmallows melted in the microwave, and then I mixed in some dark chocolate chips (a budding future pastry chef, indeed) accompanied by Bailey’s and coffee.

Take-home-point is to cancel your plans for tonight and go to Lilly’s---genuine service, scrumptious food, and charming atmosphere with a superb libation selection------ and of course, feel free to call me if you need a dining companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment