Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Broadripple Bagel Deli

During my Freshman year of college, after I was fired from my job as a lifeguard at the YMCA, my friend Tom (still a great friend) negotiated a job for me at New York Bagel Deli on Kirkwood in Bloomington. It had to be one of the greatest jobs of my entire life. An eclectic blend of college kids serving up steamed bagels and sandwiches until 2am. I fondly remember Rule #27 of the Employee Rules: Never be too drunk or too stoned to make a bagel. Our friends ate like kings and there were several occasions when Rule #27 was "almost" broken.
Upon my return to the Midwest and my part time life in the Broadripple neighborhood of Indianapolis, much to my content, I recently stumbled upon the Broadripple Bagel Deli. ( www.ripplebageldeli.com ) It's based on the original one at Miami of Ohio (same as they did in Bloomington) but because I usually avoid Ohio, for all intents and purposes, let's say it reminds me of the one we had in Bloomington over 15 years ago.
The menu is just as diverse as the employees. During my visit, I had a cute Emo-dude take my order (I emphasize cute because he was wearing glasses--everyone looks cuter in glasses--wink!) and I decided on the Aunt Pin's Bagel (plus a little feta and banana peppers to make it not-so-PETA-friendly) and it brought back such blissfully steamed memories of my bagel days at NYBD.
So people of Indy, please rejoice that you are fortunate to have such a "kosher-gem" in your area. (ok, they aren't really kosher) This place has something for everyone. You can easily appease your inner vegan or you can let your carnivore side take over. But stop in and check them out, when you get a chance.
And now I find myself quite curious if perhaps Broadripple Bagel Deli also has a Rule #27? But that's for y'all to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment