Saturday, February 6, 2010

Beefy Goodness


I would like to take this time to thank the beautiful 7-Story Downtown Louisville YMCA for being my saving grace of fitness this season. The Spin class and Cardio Lifting class are absolute Aces!

We all need to vary our lifting routines in order to avoid muscle-plateaus and I must say the Y’s lifting class is the perfect recipe. Not as great as British-Guatemalan military drills at the Iron Pit Gym but the Y’s class always guarantees at least one sore body part the following day.

Speaking of great places in Louisville, I took my first Brunch trip to Lynn’s Paradise CafĂ© today and had an amazing burger. Although I was extremely tempted by their Belgian Waffle, I decided to treat myself to a Grass-Fed Kentucky Beef Burger topped with Bleu Cheese Pimento Spread. OMG, it was heaven. (sadly, there was no room for dessert with the waffle)

Which brings me to my point of this blog entry and the “skinny” on grass-fed beef. For your information, a 3.5-ounce ( 100g) serving of grass-fed beef has only 2.4 grams of fat, compared with 16.3 grams for conventionally raised beef (if it doesn’t say “grass-fed” on the package, that means the cows have been stuffed full of hormones and artificial filler-foods).

Here’s the impressive info: Grass-fed beef contains more conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), which has been shown to reduce abdominal fat while building lean muscle. It also has more omega-3s and less omega-6s than corn-fed beef. It’s the same with chickens. According to a recent study in the journal, Poultry Science, free-range chickens have significantly more omega-3s than grain-fed chickens do, and less saturated fat and fewer calories than tiny-cage grain-fed varieties.

However, although I would much prefer you eat a veggie burger, if you are going to have a burger, go with the grass-fed beef, your tummy and your corazon will thank you for it! Buen Provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment