Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Stars & Sprouts


So much for the Orionid Meteor Shower the other morning. I did catch about four good streaks before I realized my bed would be a much comfier (and warmer) place. It was brought to my attention that in Florida, it was too cloudy to see the sky but the warm weather and waves crashing on the ocean made up for it (thanks TS!) Although I'm still hoping for some unseasonable Texas or West African weather here in the Hoosier state, I really can't complain right now. Over the past few days, I was able to get in both a massive hike at the Deam in the Hoosier National Forest ( http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/hoosier/recreation/ccdw.htm ) and a long bike ride on the Monon Trail in Indy ( http://www.indianatrails.org/Monon_Indy.htm ) I highly recommend both during this "leafy" season. Am including a great photo from my Deam hike.

Am looking forward to much of the same this weekend in addition to trying my first attempt at foie gras pate. Hope it works out!!

It seems one of my favorite veggies is now in-season and that is the loved/hated Brussel Sprout. I love them but have met many people in my time whom would rather eat roadkill than some brussels. However, for all you haters, please know that the Brussel has officially beaten out Broccoli as the healthiest veggie of all time!

Thought I might share my usual recipe (vegan) but accompany it with my naughtier version (not-so-vegan):

2 Cups Brussels de-stemmed and cut into quarters
1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
2 Cloves Garlic-chopped
Non-stick cooking spray (or several tablespoons olive oil for a more decadent version)
1/4 Cup Chopped Pecans
Soy Sauce
Cracked Black Pepper
Naughty Additions:
Although I prefer Serrano ham, it's not always easy to find, instead you can use several slices of lean smoked ham, chopped into pieces
I prefer Stilton Crumbles but any blue cheese will do.

Sautee Onion & Garlic on medium heat for several minutes in spray or olive oil. Add Brussel Srouts and sautee for a several minutes. DO NOT let them get too soft, only let them turn a slightly darker shade of green, so they stay crunchy and still retain a majority of their nutrients. Add pecans for a minute or two (you be the judge). If you decide to do the naughty version, add the ham bits for a minute or two. Remove from heat, add soy sauce/black pepper. If making the naughty version, let it all cool for a minute or two and then add the blue cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment