Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Summer is Officially Here


I'm still trying to come to the realization that I have actually passed this summer session. 11 grueling weeks of memorizing more information than I could have ever possibly imagined combined with endless hospital hours. There is no way I would have been able to do this without the help of my incredible cohort, which has also come to be my second family. And of course the great support I received from mom and dad. Because of your financial generosity to further my education, I promise you will now be able to retire at the Ritz Carlton Senior Living Resort in West Palm Beach. Dad, I hear they have a NASCAR track for Senior driving enthusiasts, so you'll be just fine.

Now I have three full weeks until Fall Term resumes. In a few short days, I'll be back en route to Latin America to conquer a few volcanoes and (inevitably) battle a few parasites due to bad food choices.

Anyway, throughout this summer I have found my thoughts drifting from academics to what I will do after I'm finished with this program and back in the working field. Not about where I will work but when I can afford "ideal vacations" again. #1) Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro. And then.. #2) Climb Everest. Plans are already brewing for these excursions which I intend to do both as charity projects. The current question is "which" charity to support during these excursions. Any suggestions are welcome......

Now let's talk food! My first day off from academics, I decided to make my Tejano Potato Salad. It's low fat and full of goodies. However, this is only a 4 person serving, so keep that in mind.....

6 Medium size red potatoes (chopped and boiled)
1/2 cup black beans (cooked)
1/2 cup corn nibblets
2 scallions finely chopped
1/2 handful of chopped cilantro
1/2 cup plain Greek low fat yogurt
1/2 pack of dried ranch dressing mix

Garnish: Chopped Green Olives, Chopped Tomatoes, Diced Avocado

Mix the yogurt with the dressing mix.
In large bowl combine potatoes, black beans, corn, and scallions. Add dressing mix and stir, chill for at least 30 minutes. When ready to serve, garnish with the goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment