Thursday, June 10, 2010

Summer Thaim.....


Oh how I have longed for these days of sweltering Ohio Valley heat. Thank you Mother Nature and please keep up the good work.

Had a fabulous time in NYC and I ate my weight in meat and alcohol. Have still been on the mend with that indulgence...however, it's back to the academic/medical grindstone. No time to indulge until the end of summer---then it's looking like Panama will be on the travel calendar before Fall term, pending any of those Latin American Political Coups or my personal favorite--Hurricane. Thanks again, Rita!

As most of you know, Thai cuisine is in my Top 3 and because it is super warm outside, I thought I would try my hand at a Cold (yet slightly spicy) Thai Noodle Salad. (note the photo above) It's full of good things (but you can make it a bit naughty, if you choose) and I've given both a vegan or a meaty version. So here's the low-down for

TJ's Cold Thai Noodle Salad--you will love it Long Thaim!

8 oz Uncooked Whole Wheat Thin Spaghetti
(Go ahead and cook it separately and drain)

Dressing:
1/2 Cup Peanut Butter (I prefer chunky b/c I am a "texture" gal)
1/3 Cup Lite Coconut Milk
1/4 Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1 Teaspoon of Schiraca Vietnamese Hot Sauce (or a bit more if you prefer spicier)
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Powdered Ginger (I prefer 2)
2 Tablespoons Sesame Seeds
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
2 Tablespoons Chopped Cilantro or 2 Teaspoons dried Cilantro
*Whisk together the wet ingredients then whisk in the dry ingredients.
*Toss about 1/4 cup of dressing with pasta, in a large bowl and set aside in the refrigerator.

Salad Ingredients:
1 Bell Pepper Diced
1 Cucumber, sliced down the middle, de-seed and slice julienne
1/2 bag of Broccoli slaw mix (or shred 1/2 head of cabbage and 1 large carrot)
1/2 bag snow peas
(Optional) 8 oz diced grilled chicken or 8 oz grilled shrimp or 8 oz diced grilled pork (or just do shrimp and pork to seriously offend your Kosher friends!)
*Add these ingredients to your Noodles and toss with the dressing.
*Chill in the fridge for about an hour.

Garnish:
1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Peanuts
2 Tablespoons Sesame Seeds
1 Handful of Chopped Cilantro
*Add garnish right before serving

No comments:

Post a Comment